December 5, 2020

¿Hablas español?

In preparation for our big Mexican adventure, for the past number of years I’ve been trying to learn Spanish.  I’ve tried a number of different formats, from classroom courses at the local community centre to books, queue cards, YouTube  videos, apps and audio books.  All have been helpful, but I think the most helpful of all has been the mix of the free app Duolingo and a series of great audio books through Audible.  
I’ve never been “good” at languages.  I couldn’t wait to be finished with the mandatory French classes in school, just making by enough to pass and get the required credit.  But learning a language because I genuinely want to has been different.  Plus with all the different formats to learn from which didn’t require me to get into the nitty gritty of complex grammar (my least favourite topic in school), I’ve truly enjoyed the learning.  The hard part has been keeping it up through regular practice.  I can honestly say that I’ve even surprised myself and got to a point where I felt like I was really getting into a groove with my lessons.  By early 2020 I finished all three Levels of the Pimsleur Spanish audio lesson series offered through Audible.  Before starting that I had built a bit of a foundation through many levels of the Duolingo app.  Then when I found these audio books it really started to feel like things were coming together.  
Through listening and repeating aloud I not only feel like I have a good handle on the language, I also feel much more confident in my pronunciation.  I think I’ve even gotten the hang of the rolling R’s!  Sadly though, after finishing the audio lessons a number of months ago, I’ve gotten lazy and haven’t been practicing as much.  But, now that we have a new countdown to our Mexican adventure (moved out to Fall 2021) I’ve got some renewed energy to brush up on my knowledge.    Having “been there, done that” with the Duolingo and audio books, I’ve struggled to get back into those.  Thankfully though, I recently stumbled on some fun and quick free lessons offered by a blogger we follow Two Expats Mexico.  So, my new goal will be to go through all the short YouTube lessons they’ve put together to brush up and to replay some of the Pimsleur audio books. I’m looking forward to understanding Spanish better once in Mexico and being able to use what I’ve learned, hopefully without sounding like too much of a “gringo”. Wish me luck! 😊 

With just 10 months to go, I’m looking forward to the time flying by as fast as this past year has gone!!

Until next time / Hasta la proxima vez!

1 comment:

  1. That’s great hon! Brushing up on your Spanish and having a new date for your Mexican dream adventure will give you a new breath of fresh air. One that you truly deserve!
    Thanks for sharing😎
    Love you xo

    ReplyDelete

Most Popular Posts